Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

MINI-REVIEW: Hector And The Search For Happiness

MOVIE
Hector And The
Search For Happiness

CAST
Simon Pegg, Rosamund Pike

RATING
R

RELEASE
September 19, 2014 (LIMITED)
September 26, 2014 (Expands)

DIRECTOR
Peter Chelsom

STUDIO
Relativity Studios

RUNNING TIME
1 hour 59 minutes






STARS
***3/4







REVIEW:

Sometimes the best movies out there aren't the ones you want to see, but the films that just ever so perfectly tie in to something that's going on in your life.  For me, "Hector and the Search for Happiness" happens to be that type of film, and then some.  This movie has Simon Pegg as a psychiatrist who can't seem to find what makes people happy anymore.  What does he do about this?  Well, he decides to travel the globe in search of what makes people quote on quote "happy."  At least, that's what he's telling everybody as his reasoning for his worldwide expedition.  This is a film that I went in expecting literally nothing unique or investing about it, and what I got out of it was exactly that.  I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this film and how well it showed one man's journey in order to find ways of making others, along with himself, happy and full of joy once again.

Simon Pegg gives a great performance, both comedically and dramatically, as the titular character.  His struggles in the film on his search for happiness are fun, devastating and even relatable at times.  I argue and say that this is the best performance of his career thus far, as he really gave it his all here.  I did have a couple of problems here and there with certain characters being in the film but not serving much purpose, as well as a plot element that comes out of nowhere about half way in, but other than that I thought "Hector and the Search for Happiness" was a great, maybe even fantastic, movie overall.  Some people have dubbed this as a "Walter Mitty" esque story, and I can totally see why people think that.  Hell, I even think that this does follow many of the same tropes that "Mitty" had.  However as its own film, I felt "Hector" stood out from the rest and told a story that I'm pretty sure a lot of people will really get into.  This is the type of movie that you'd find when looking up the term "crowd-pleaser" in the dictionary.  This film might not be for everyone, but it sure as hell was for me, and I look forward to revisiting it again in the near future.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello viewers of this blog,

Due to recent comments of spam and profanity present from obnoxious kids who think they are the funniest people in the world, I would like to request that the comments posted here are in good taste, meaning that they have no Anti-Semitic remarks, profanity, sexual innuendo, or any insults to myself. You can criticize the review and give pointers on how to make them better, but how about we be adults about this. Ok? Thank you, and have a nice day.

- Zach Marsh