Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

REWIND REVIEW: Sound of My Voice

MOVIE
Sound of My Voice

CAST
Christopher Denham,
Nicole Vicius

RATING
R

RELEASE
April 27, 2012

DIRECTOR
Zal Batmanglij

STUDIO
Fox Searchlight Pictures

RUNNING TIME
1 hour 25 minutes






STARS
****






REVIEW:

Back in 2011, I got to meet Brit Marling, one of the stars of a small indie called 'Sound of My Voice,' after a screening of her other small indie movie 'Another Earth.' She clearly had the right attitude towards regular people and was a very kind soul to have the pleasure to be introduced to. Her performance in 'Another Earth' to me was incredible, which made me upset when this film wasn't released widely enough for me to check it out. Flash to now, and I saw/got 'Sound of My Voice' miraculously at Redbox when I saw it was there. After seeing this movie, I can honestly say that I was just as fascinated and intrigued by the movie as I was confused and polarized while watching it. 'Sound of My Voice' won't be seen by many, even if the film catches someone's eye in a store or something. It's kind of a shame, because this movie, with all of its fascinating ideas, well-written script, and talented cast, make 'Sound of My Voice' one of 2012's best hidden gems.

In attempt to make a documentary centering on cults, substitute school teacher Peter Aitken and his wife Lorna both get into a small cult led by a mysterious woman named Maggie. The thing about Maggie is that she claims to be from somewhere that's logically impossible to be from, and she has her followers believing every single word she spews out of her mouth. As Peter and Lorna get into the cult more, they start uncovering secrets behind Maggie's troubled past, while at the same time being drawn into the cult without even realizing. Their mission was to expose Maggie for the supposed fraud she is and free her followers of her grip, but Peter and Lorna might have gotten themselves into something that they didn't expect it to be.

There isn't a lot to say about 'Sound of My Voice' other than the usual shtick. The acting was great, especially from Brit Marling, who I still believe will end up being in something big someday. The script was astounding, especially in the end where it leaves you guessing and asking yourself "What the hell just happened?" The direction from first time director Zal Batmanglij was really good for a first time director. It's a true shame how this movie was just thrown into a really small limited run, then released on DVD six or seven months later. If you're at a Redbox or a Blockbuster machine on night and are looking for something that will really toy with your mind, then this is one I highly recommend. 'Sound of My Voice' is the best movie to come out this year that you have never heard of. I can't wait to check this one out again when I get the opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello viewers of this blog,

Due to recent comments of spam and profanity present from obnoxious kids who think they are the funniest people in the world, I would like to request that the comments posted here are in good taste, meaning that they have no Anti-Semitic remarks, profanity, sexual innuendo, or any insults to myself. You can criticize the review and give pointers on how to make them better, but how about we be adults about this. Ok? Thank you, and have a nice day.

- Zach Marsh