Pages

Monday, August 4, 2014

MINI-REVIEW: Wish I Was Here

MOVIE
Wish I Was Here

CAST
Zach Braff, Kate Hudson

RATING
R

RELEASE
July 18, 2014 (LIMITED)

DIRECTOR
Zach Braff

STUDIO
Focus Features

RUNNING TIME
1 hour 47 minutes






STARS
***1/4







REVIEW:

Ten years is a long time in terms of making a follow up to a very popular film.  Zach Braff back in 2004 made "Garden State," which I personally believe is one of the best films of the last decade.  When it was announced that Braff had started a Kickstarter page for a new film project of his, I couldn't have been more excited.  Here we are now, a year later, and Braff's directorial follow-up  "Wish I Was Here" is out in the open for public eyes to see.  I won't lie by saying that Braff has made another masterpiece, because this movie isn't.  The film can be a bit too schmaltzy at times and it features a few characters who honestly have no real purpose of being there.  However when the emotions hit, they hit something near and true.  I liked all of the characters because I felt like I knew these people.  It might have been because Braff's family is a Jewish family and I got all of the Jewish lingo, but who knows.

I don't know if I would watch "Wish I Was Here" again, but I will say that it did not disappoint despite some obvious flaws presented in it.  Overall, if you're a fan of "Garden State," I will say that this movie is a major step down from it.  As its own thing, though, "Wish I Was Here" is a funny, sweet, and heartfelt movie that, despite its flaws, is something I would recommend seeing.  The acting is top-notch, the story is sweet, and there are some moments in here that will put a genuine smile on your face.  Hopefully Zach Braff doesn't wait another decade to direct another film, because he is a really talented director and somebody I think people would go back to see.





PREVIEWS YOU MAY SEE:

What If

The Best of Me

The Hundred Foot Journey

A Walk Among The Tombstones

This Is Where I Leave You

Kill The Messenger





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello viewers of this blog,

Due to recent comments of spam and profanity present from obnoxious kids who think they are the funniest people in the world, I would like to request that the comments posted here are in good taste, meaning that they have no Anti-Semitic remarks, profanity, sexual innuendo, or any insults to myself. You can criticize the review and give pointers on how to make them better, but how about we be adults about this. Ok? Thank you, and have a nice day.

- Zach Marsh