Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

R.I.P. Leslie Nielson 1926-2010; R.I.P. Irvin Kershner 1923-2010

It's tough when celebrities die. But it's even harder when the celebrities have created a lifetime supply of memorable movies. That's exactly what happened earlier this week when Leslie Nielson, of Airplane! and The Naked Gun series, and Irvin Kershner, thew director of one of the most celebrated sequels of all time, The Empire Strikes Back passed away, leaving behind so many great movies. For those who didn't know, Leslie Nielson was a serious young actor in the 50s, starting with the sci-fi film 'Forbidden Planet.' It wasn't until 1980 that he got his comedic shot as the doctor in Airplane!, which happens to be one of my favorite movies of all time. Then in 1988, Mr. Nielson got his big star break as Lt. Frank Drebin in The Naked Gun: From The Files Of Police Squad, another one of my favorite movies. Those movies will ber the main reasons why Leslie Nielson will be remembered. As for Mr. Kershner, the only other big things he's directed was the james Bond movie, 'Never Say Never Again', and 'Robocop 2', both of which I haven't seen. But Mr. Kershner will be remembered dearestly as the director o "the greatest sequel of all time," The Empire Strikes Back. The one death I'm really sad about was Mr. Nielson, mainly because I wanted to meet him personally and tell him how much of a fan I am of his movies. Oh, well, now I'll never be able to. I give my sincere condolanses to both families, and hope that their family member, from both families had a great life. Rest in peace, because the two men who were apart of defying the 80s are now gone, with generations and generations to hear "Don't Call Me Shirley" or "Luke, I'm Your Father" and still be able to enjoy the timeless classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello viewers of this blog,

Due to recent comments of spam and profanity present from obnoxious kids who think they are the funniest people in the world, I would like to request that the comments posted here are in good taste, meaning that they have no Anti-Semitic remarks, profanity, sexual innuendo, or any insults to myself. You can criticize the review and give pointers on how to make them better, but how about we be adults about this. Ok? Thank you, and have a nice day.

- Zach Marsh