Pages

Thursday, October 3, 2013

REWIND REVIEW: The Kings of Summer

MOVIE
The Kings of Summer

CAST
Nick Robinson, Gabriel Basso,
Moises Arias

RATING
R

RELEASE
May 31, 2013

DIRECTOR
Jordan Vogt-Roberts

STUDIO
CBS Films

RUNNING TIME
1 hour 35 minutes






STARS
****








REVIEW:

If you've been reading me for a while now, then you should be fully aware at the fact that I'm a sucker for coming-of-age movies.  It could just be because I'm currently in high school, but I'm just head over heals in love with this particular sub-genre of film.  This year alone has given us some memorable ones, from a boy and the unlikely friendship he makes with the manager of a water park in "The Way, Way Back," to a bunch of 11 year olds playing imaginary war in the woods in "I Declare War."  "The Kings of Summer," which made a huge splash at Sundance this year, is a tale about three boys who build a house in the woods to get away from their crazy and irritating parents.  Once a girl gets in their way, though, the friendship that they all share might come crumbling down a lot quicker than they expected it to.

I'm just gonna come out and say this with no buildup whatsoever: I am head over heels in love with this movie.  As someone who was gaga for "The Way, Way Back," I gotta say that not only is this movie funnier, by the way this might very well be the funniest movie I've seen all year, but it also really hit me for different reasons than how any other film this year did.  This is a movie about first loves, teenage angst, and the friendship between two people, and what that resulted in was a smart, hilarious, and touching movie that takes the kid-chemistry from "Super 8" and incorporate it with the foulness of a Seth Rogen comedy.  All of the acting is fantastic, the story flows in a very linear fashion, the script is fresh and witty, and overall this movie just feels like a soon-to-be classic for teenagers.  Plus, I have a feeling that even if you don't particularly care for the movie, you'll at least enjoy the randomness and strange being that is in the form of Biaggio, the third boy who tags along in the group.  Just watch the film, and see what I mean.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello viewers of this blog,

Due to recent comments of spam and profanity present from obnoxious kids who think they are the funniest people in the world, I would like to request that the comments posted here are in good taste, meaning that they have no Anti-Semitic remarks, profanity, sexual innuendo, or any insults to myself. You can criticize the review and give pointers on how to make them better, but how about we be adults about this. Ok? Thank you, and have a nice day.

- Zach Marsh