Pages

Sunday, July 19, 2015

MINI-REVIEW: Magic Mike XXL

MOVIE
Magic Mike XXL

CAST
Channing Tatum,
Joe Manganiello

RATING
R

RELEASE
July 1, 2015

DIRECTOR
Gregory Jacobs

STUDIO
Warner Bros. Pictures

RUNNING TIME
1 hour 55 minutes






STARS
***










REVIEW:

I love 2012's "Magic Mike."  No, seriously, I legitimately love that movie.  It's not because of the fact that it has Matthew McConaughey and Channing Tatum stripping to their skivvies, but rather the fact that it has a well-structured story, likable characters, solid direction, and amazing dancing/music choices.  It's honestly one of the best films of 2012 that I didn't get to see in theaters.  Being a fan of that film, I was really excited for "Magic Mike XXL" despite Steven Soderbergh not returning to the director's chair for this one.  In his place, however, is Gregory Jacobs, who happens to have been the assistant director on many of Soderbergh's previous films, including "Magic Mike."  With the writer of the original, Reid Carolin, returning as well, this looked to be a fun and entertaining sequel to an invigorating movie about self discovery.  Unsurprisingly, though, this is a vastly inferior film to its predecessor.

Several ladies came out of my screening, after they wouldn't stop cheering, commentating, and singing throughout the 115 minute duration of the film, calling it the "best movie ever."  I asked why, and they replied with something along the lines of "Um, did you SEE Channing's abs?!"  Of course, being me, I don't judge a film solely on whether or not somebody looks good shirtless or not.  If that were the case, then "The Wolf of Wall Street" would be my favorite film.  However I can't see a film that way, and to be honest, I had problems with "XXL" overall.  I will admit that the movie was fun to watch and had solid elements to it, but it lacked the charisma and deep character development that made me love the first movie so much.  I guess the best word to describe this movie is "serviceable."  It doesn't have as much about the first one that made it awesome, but it does have more male stripping, so women at least will be pleased.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello viewers of this blog,

Due to recent comments of spam and profanity present from obnoxious kids who think they are the funniest people in the world, I would like to request that the comments posted here are in good taste, meaning that they have no Anti-Semitic remarks, profanity, sexual innuendo, or any insults to myself. You can criticize the review and give pointers on how to make them better, but how about we be adults about this. Ok? Thank you, and have a nice day.

- Zach Marsh